Tuesday, May 06, 2014

How Could I Forget Lady Liberty??

I know that I promised you in my last post, that I'd be sharing a "roll out the red carpet" moment, but as I was going through my pictures, I remembered Ellis Island and The Statue of Liberty. And I COULD NOT leave it out. 

I need to start out by telling you, that had our friends not brought hats, gloves, and jackets for each person in our family we might have died on this excursion!!! 

I can see the headlines now, "Missionaries from Thailand Died From the Cold on Ellis Island"

Thank you Carrie Healy for saving our lives!

FOR MISSIONARIES WHO HAVE LIVED IN THE TROPICS FOR THE LAST 13 YEARS, IT WAS FREEZING!!!!! F.R.E.E.Z.I.N.G

Am I making it clear? 

Good.

When we stepped out of the car it was about 31 degrees F, raining and windy. 

Honestly, I wanted to jump back in the car, turn on the heater and enjoy the view of The Lady from my windshield, but our friends had purchased tickets to see The Lady, up close and personal. 

 I decided I better carry myself like a mature adult. I have boys watching. And a daughter-in-law. And a granddaughter. 

Get. Out. Of. The. Car. Amber!

Oh the responsibility a mother must carry. 


Every time we tell someone in the south that we saw The Statue of Liberty it's always accompanied with the reply, "I've never seen the Statue of Liberty! You're some pretty lucky kids."

Every item of winter clothing was borrowed. We live in Thailand. Remember?

Blessed indeed!

First stop was Ellis Island. We were able to see the port where the Immigrants were brought when entering America for the first time.

Knowing all we do about immigrating, and bringing foreigners to America, this really had a special meaning to us.

Can you imagine coming to America on a boat? Can you imagine staying on that boat for months?

Can you imagine coming to a Nation where you didn't know the language?


Okay. Doesn't this picture make you want to sing the National Anthem??




She really is a grand as you think she is! It was breathtaking and tear jerking to see her standing in the harbor!

On the ferry going to see Lady Liberty

That's New York behind us!


I had to add this picture because of their faces. Have you ever seen someone make a face like this on purpose and want you to take a picture? No?

Well, this is a cute face for the Thais. It's very acceptable and common to see this face in many pictures.

I still don't get it. I've been there a long time and I still. don't. get. it.

But who says I need to.


You're probably wondering how in the world we got this shot??
We are standing on the base of The Lady and Clinton is lying down on the ground in front of me.

Yes, he's lying with his entire back on the ground and lifting his head up just enough to see through the camera lens.


I had to get me and my baby in front of The Lady. He's even saying cheese for the picture.

Blistering cold. But fun.

We made some memories!

Until tomorrow.

Love,
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment