Saturday, May 10, 2014

God Rolls Out the Red Carpet in D.C. Part 1

So while we're in the mountains of Tennessee with Chase and Sydney, we met these other missionaries from Uganda who were staying at Eden Ridge

As we were talking, they asked us if we had ever heard about a ministry called Christian Hospitality Network. We had heard of it and had been to one of their retreats in Phuket, Thailand. I won't go into all the details of what CHN does. You can read about it on their website. 

The Carriage House on Capital Hill
 But they proceeded to tell us that CHN had expanded their ministry to include 1000 Bed and Breakfasts in the states.The Bed and Breakfast owners aren't always Christian, but just wanted to offer a discounted rate for missionaries. Wow! Great! When they said it, it got my wheels turning and thinking on Clinton's desire to bring the family to D.C.

Staircase brought in from SC


After looking around at hotel prices in D.C. quit a bit, I had told Clinton there was no way we'd be able to do D.C. "Maybe another time, babe.

But this news gave me a spark of hope.


Once we left TN, and were heading to NJ, I began to search the CHN website to see what they had in D.C. There was only 1 Bed and Breakfast listed. So I gave them a call. I got a voice mail that had no message on it so I just hung up the phone.

Not very persistent. I know.


Then next day, as we're leaving Cracker Barrel, a favorite restaurant for the traveling missionary with 6 children, one daughter-in-law, and a granddaughter, I got a call from the owner of the said Bed and Breakfast.

I began to ask her if she had any openings on such and such days and how much a room would cost for missionaries. I told her we had two adopted Thai children and a Thai daughter-in-law and that we really would love to show our children our heritage and a glimpse of the capital city.


She told me there were no openings, and that she didn't really know what the price would be. "It just depends on the time of year, and if it's a holiday and such." She replied.  I felt like she was blowing me off.

I told Clinton, "That was a strange conversation and I'm not too sure why this lady had her Bed and Breakfast listed  with the CHN."

Oh! Look it's me in the reflection of this marvelous cabinet

Several hours later, as we're driving along, I get a text.

"What were the dates you wanted again?"

I replied and she text me back that those dates were open.


I then asked her if we could reserve two rooms and how much would each room cost.

She wrote back, "I no longer rent it out by room. I rent out the entire house. It's a four story home, with five bedrooms, five bathrooms and a full kitchen. It's located on Capital Hill and 1.3 miles walking distance from The Capital Building. I rent it for $610 a night, BUT I'LL GIVE IT TO YOU FOR THE CLEANING FEE OF $100 A NIGHT!!!!!!"



I thought I was misunderstanding her so I asked again to make sure.

She said, "I'll give you the entire house for $100 a night."

"Am I dreaming???"



OMGosh!!!!!!! HOLY COW!!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING??????

I relayed the news to Clinton and he was so elated!! Remember, he'd been praying about this trip for months!


When we walked in the house we were awe struck. It was magnificent!! Every corner, every detail. This woman had put her heart and soul into decorating this house.


The winding staircase, that ran up and down all four floors, she had shipped in from South Carolina. The tables, the chairs, beds, pillars, chandeliers....... everything! It was beautiful!


Each room had a theme and the colors and textures she used to decorate were amazing! The whole house was like constant eye candy. Each room had french doors leading onto a porch or veranda, a flat screen TV and a beautifully decorated bathroom.


We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Carriage House on Capital Hill.

The pictures on their website are much better than the ones I took with my phone. Go have a look.

What are some ways God's rolled out the red carpet for you?

I'd love to hear your stories!

Love,
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment